Questions 31 – 40
Complete the notes below.
Write ONE WORD ONLY for each answer.
What is maple syrup?
● made from the sap of the maple tree
● added to food or used in cooking
● colour described as 31
● very 32 compared to refined sugar
The maple tree
● has many species
● needs sunny days and cool nights
● maple leaf has been on the Canadian flag since 1964
● needs moist soil but does not need fertiliser as well
● best growing conditions and 33 are in Canada and North America
Early maple sugar producers
● made holes in the tree trunks
● used hot 34 to heat the sap
● used tree bark to make containers for collection
● sweetened food and drink with sugar
Today’s maple syrup
● Tree trunks may not have the correct 35 until they have been growing for 40 years.
● The changing temperature and movement of water within the tree produces the sap.
● A tap drilled into the trunk and a 36 carries the sap into a bucket.
● Large pans of sap called evaporators are heated by means of a 37 .
● A lot of 38 is produced during the evaporation process.
● ‘Sugar sand’ is removed because it makes the syrup look 39 and affects the taste.
● The syrup is ready for use.
● A huge quantity of sap is needed to make a 40 of maple syrup.